1/10/2012

recycled denim rug: the beginning



I found my big hook and got started last night using my denim "yarn". (See how to make that here.) It took a bit to get the hang of it. You have to crochet a bit looser than typical because there isn't much give in the denim.


I decided to do a rectangle rug instead of a circle. I chained a length I thought suitable for a rug to go in front of a door or the kitchen sink. It ended up being about 38 inches.


Then I continued with a single crochet in the back loops only.


I made it three rows and still had yarn to go. It worked up pretty quickly. I did this in about an hour. The single crochet ends up being about 1 inch tall.


I have a feeling this rug is going to take all five pairs of my saved up worn out jeans. I like the look of it though. It is nice and thick hopefully offering a bit of cushion with I'm doing the dishes. I do need to process some more jeans though! I'll keep you posted on the progress!

1 comment: