1/31/2012

Recipe: No Knead Bread

I made my very first loaf of bread yesterday. I think it is what is normally referred to as a "country loaf". I think that means it isn't pretty. I think it is pretty. It was actually way easier than what I expected. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a complete disaster even while it was baking in the oven. I found this and this through Pinterest and followed their recipes.HOW TO ACTIVATE YEAST:
The only difference is that I used active dry yeast instead of instant yeast. Which means I had to activate my yeast in warm water and feed it sugar. It is like sea monkeys or something. I used a small bowl, got out the candy thermometer and temped my water coming out of the tap until rested nicely right under the 100 degree mark. I guess at 110 these little boogers fry and become useless. I put about 2 tablespoons of water in the bowl, added a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, gently stirring. Then I added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. I warmed a cloth napkin with water and draped it around the top of the bowl for 10 minutes. When I removed the napkin is was all foamy! Yay! I didn't kill the yeast! To add to the recipe just subtract the amount of liquid you used to activate the yeast from the recipe.
The thing about no knead bread is that you have to let it sit over night. Something about fermentation. I set it next to the heating vent all night. When I got up the next morning it was all poofy and bubbly. I baked it in my dutch oven. It came out all crusty and delicious. Like I have been doing this for years. It was perfect. We ate it with my home made butter while it was still warm!

I think I should have been born in another era. Maybe I am supposed to help lead the revolution back to a simpler time where we live from the land, grow our own food and make our own bread. That sounds like a lot of responsibility, so maybe not but you should try this no-kneading bread. Your home will smell wonderful and you will beam with pride when you turn out your beautiful loaf onto a rack. You will feed your family something you made from three simple ingredients. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment