1/31/2012

DIY: Kindle cover from a book

I am one of those lucky people that got a Kindle for Christmas this year. I love to read. While I was initially skeptical I am digging it now. You see, I like the tactile experience of reading a book. I like to hold it in my hands, feel the paper beneath my fingers. I do not baby my books. They get tossed in my purse, trampled by a kid, and *gasp* I dog ear my pages. My books are loved. They are handled. I like the smell of the ink and the paper. I love book cloth. I prefer to buy them used or swapped through paperbackswap.com. So when these digital readers came out, I was all "No way! That is not for me." I lied to myself. It is fantastical. Books at your fingertips. You can sample a chapter to see if you might be interested. I love it. I will still buy my beloved second hand books but I am in love with my Kindle.

I have been carrying it around in its box.

Isn't that sad. I just can't throw down the kind of money they are asking for those covers though, despite that I was given a Amazon gift card for that exact purpose. Instead, I bought an immersion blender and made my own Kindle cover out "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".

A pocket with a snap for storage.
All made with black and purple felt.
A button with an elastic closure.

Elastic to hold it for reading.
Marvelous!

I decided to make one for my friend for her birthday this week.
I used the cover of Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer! What 31 year old woman wouldn't love a Twilight Series Kindle cover for her birthday? (Don't answer that.)







Inspiration here and here.

Here is how I got started:
Now don't feel bad for my tearing apart books. I bought this as an extra copy at a garage sale for a quarter. It had been defaced and was missing its dust jacket. I have a tendency to buy cheap second hand copies of my favorite books to give to people. I like to share the love, people.
Yup, that says Harry Pothead.
They even went through the trouble of printing out a proper label.
I am guessing that the signed owner of the book was the culprit. If you know this person give them a stern talking to about the respect of not only books but especially Harry Potter books.
STEP 1)
Using scissors or a sharp knife cut the paper in the inside along the spine on the front and the back. This might be all you have to do. For the Twilight book, it was glued in too so I had to man handle it a bit to get it free.
STEP 2: The books are too wide for the Kindle. I shortened it by using hot glue and pressing the spine together a bit to shorten it.
Like so.

LINING:
(I didn't take anymore pictures because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I was nervous. Plus with hot glue you have to move fast there isn't time to stop take a pic and go.)

Now for the inside I laid out felt and used my rotary cutter to get it to size. Cut out a pocket. Sew on a tab for the snap. Sew on the snaps by hand. Sew the pocket onto the inner panel. Lay out your Kindle to measure for elastic. Cut elastic and snip holes in the felt for the elastic. Inserted elastic and secure the elastic to the felt with hot glue. Secure the closure elastic with hot glue. Using a nail and hammer poke holes in to the cover. Snip a paper clip apart thread onto button and insert the wire through the holes in the cover then spread them apart like a brad. To attach liner to book carefully and quickly (hot glue sets fast!) go around the edge and worked from left to right also dobbing glue across as you go through the middle of the book. Press carefully as you go to smooth out bumps. Add more glue as needed. I went through like 10 glue sticks.

Hope you love it!
(and don't tell her about the bday gift, okay?)
Love,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment