10/12/2011

Tasty Treats: Crockpot Chicken Carnitas

tasty treats

When I went out to lunch last Friday with my friends at The Copper Penny in Vandalia, IL, I had the pork carnita. It was delicious. I thought I'd try a chicken crockpot version of my own. I looked up "carnita" and found that the word means little bits of meat. Traditionally it is made with pork roast and slow roasted for hours. Which is delish but I only had frozen chicken.

What I used:
3 chicken breasts, thawed (1 per person)
1 taco season packet
1/2 can of sweet corn
1/2 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (non fire roasted would be fine)
palmful of dried minced onion
1 green pepper, diced

In my 2 qt crockpot I put the chicken and a taco packet and cooked on high heat for 2 hours and then shifted it to low for 3 hours. Shred with two forks.

001

Then I added all the veggies!
002
003
004

Combine and let cook for another hour on low heat stiring occasionally for even cooking and no burning.
005

Then I made up some easy creamy mexi sauce!
006

Serve on a warm flour tortilla with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a drizzle of the mexi sauce. I wrapped mine up like a little burrito and put Gavin's in foil so it wouldn't drip out all over him. It is pretty juicy! I served mine with a little side salad.
008

Verdict: So yummy! Pork would have been that little something extra but roasting the chicken for so long in the spices makes it tender and juicy. Adding the veggies later keeps them "fresher" than if they roasted all day too. I really liked the flavor the fire roasted diced tomatoes (that I bought on a whim to try out). I wish I would have had a little fresh cilantro too. It was easy breezy to put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment