10/06/2011

Tasty Treat Thursday: Oyster Stew!

frame to match teal and white

Oyster Stew! Yeah, you heard me right. I have found that every family has a certain recipe that has been passed down through the generations over the years. No one really remembers where it began or how it got to be your family's dish. It has just become a part of what makes a family yours. Our family's is oyster stew. I have been eating it since I was a kid. As I got older, I kind of played with things and it evolved into this recipe here. Like my sister and I used to fight over the oysters so I added more oysters! I love soups and stews. This one imparticular is so comforting and just tasty. It is quick to make and is a great way to use milk that needs to be used up. If you like oysters or seafood I think you will enjoy this stew. It took Tanner about 4 years before he would even try it. Now he loves it as much as I do. So do the kids!

001

3 cans of oysters with liquid
1/4 Cup butta
1/2 onion, diced
1 Cup half & half
4 Cups of milk
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

002
On medium heat, in your soup pot, melt butter and sweat oinions. You want them to be translucent not brown.

003
Add oysters and all the liquid they are canned in. Lid off to let this cook down for a bit. Stir occasionally. Add S&P.

004
Add all the milk and half & half to the oyster mixture slowly while stirring. Heat the stew through. Serve with saltines or oyster crackers. I don't like to eat it without the crackers. I use a lot of crackers (like half a package) and add a lot of pepper to my bowl. It looks like a lot of soup but us three almost put down the whole pot. This recipe could easily be downsized. My mom doesn't use half & half, eyeballs all the ingredient, and often she uses dried onions instead of chopping one up. So yeah, its a pretty easy recipe that is difficult to mess up.

005
Little man loves this soup. There isn't a whole lot that he gobbles down quite like this. He ate two bowls and told me he wished his mouth was bigger. That is a great compliment!

I hope you give it a try! Let me know what you think! What is your "family dish"? Do you know where it began?

thanks,
Brooke

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mary! I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe!

      Delete