10/27/2011

Not So Tasty Treat: Burnt Pumpkin Seeds

tasty treats

Que bugle playing "Taps".
I murdered my precious pumpkin seeds.
It was not on purpose. So, please, have mercy on me.

I have never burnt my pumpkin seeds before. Never. It really broke my little heart to have it go down like this. In the spirit of being a real girl and not wanting to do some "rose colored glasses" kind of thing, I am here showing you my imperfections: I burn my seeds.

I suppose I should tell you what I did and in hind sight what I would do differently.

I painstankenly picked through all the goo of two large, beautiful pumpkins.
007
Here are my children with their proud pumpkins.

Kylee hasn't slept in about three years.
Just kidding.
Earlier that evening we attended a puppet show and costume contest at our local library. Kylee liked her make up and wasn't ready to take it off.

I will side note one quick moment here because it was the highlight of my day. We found out about puppet show/costume contest at 3pm that afternoon. A contest that Gavin won last year! We have to defend our title. Gavin's Harry Potter costume was not ready and Kylee had not decided what she wanted to be yet. Gavin was easy. We had the Buzz Lightyear costume (complete with automatic wings) already from pretend dress up. He wore his green rain boots and looked awesome.

002

I didn't want Kylee to feel left out. So, while making dinner, I brainstormed (with about 45 minutes to party) and came up with a costume plan. I dug out a white veil that I watered down black acrylic paint and dyed it grayish black in the kitchen sink. Thank goodness for the windy day! It dried in 30 minutes! She was able too squeezed into her flower girl dress from two years ago. Skinny girl. Thank goodness it was black. Some black tights and black shoes. A little white powder on her face. Add some black eye shadow to hollow out her eyes. Complete the look with a bouquet of dried roses and

*POOF*

I give you The Black Widow!
001

She won the contest! She reminds me of Lydia off Beetlejuice. Funny thing, this is the perfect Halloween costume for our usually solemn and morose faced girl. She is a natural at looking a little gloomy. Perfect I tell you!

Anyway, enough of my successes of the evening and back to my failures.
Burnt seeds. Boo.

I boil my seeds for about 10-15 minutes in salt water. I spread them out and patted them down with paper towels then threw them in a bowl.

I try new seasoning every year. Last year I think I just did salt and olive oil. The year before was a lemon pepper. This year I was out of olive oil so instead I added 2 tbs of melted butter, 1 tbs of seasoning salt, 1 tsp of garlic powder, and a few shakes of worcestershire sauce. Set my oven at 400 degrees F, spread a thin layer of seeds on a sheet pan, set my timer for 30 minutes. Stirred after 30 minutes. Things are looking okay here still. Set timer for another 30. This is where I think things began to go wrong.

017

First of all, I think 400 degrees was far to hot for butter. Olive oil probably would have done fine. Second, I should have been checking every 15 minutes. Previously, when making pumpkin seeds, it takes at least an hour to achieve the crispiness I like. This time I achieved nothing but yuck. We tried to pick out the exceptionally burnt ones and eat a some but it was just awful.

Tanner tried to cheer me up:
TANNER: "It is like burnt bacon. You eat it because its BACON."
ME: "But its like ashes in your mouth."
TANNER: "This one is good."
ME: "No, it isn't."
TANNER: "No, it isn't."

020

*sniff sniff tear*

So to redeem myself a little I will provide you with someone who actually had success making their pumpkin seeds! Who better to tell you how to roast seeds than Pumpkinpatchesandmore.org! I am sure they know better than me. Next year, I will try again! Hope your seeds turned out better than mine!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment